The iconic Tropicana Las Vegas, a beacon on the Strip for over six decades, is set to swing its final doors shut on April 2, 2024. This bittersweet closure marks the beginning of a new chapter, paving the way for a $1.5 billion, 33,000-seat stadium for Major League Baseball’s Oakland Athletics to call home. Let’s take a stroll down memory lane and explore the timeline of this historic transition:
Chapter 1: A Legacy Ends (2024)
- January 29, 2024: Bally’s Corporation, the Tropicana’s operator, officially announces the closure date, citing the need to finalize plans for the A’s stadium.
- April 2, 2024: The lights dim for the last time as the Tropicana ceases operations. Farewell events and celebrations are expected in the weeks leading up to this date.
- Demolition begins: With the hotel cleared, the iconic structure will be demolished to make way for the new stadium construction.
Chapter 2: Building a New Ballpark (2025-2027)
- April 2025: Construction on the stadium is expected to begin, following the Tropicana’s demolition.
- 2025-2027: The next three years will be dedicated to constructing the ballpark, incorporating cutting-edge design and fan-friendly amenities.
- Timeline may be flexible: While the 2028 target is set, unforeseen circumstances could impact the construction timeline.
Chapter 3: A’s Take the Field (2028)
- 2028 Season: The brand new stadium is anticipated to be ready for the Oakland A’s to kick off their first season in Las Vegas.
- A new era for baseball: The arrival of the A’s marks a significant shift in Las Vegas’ sporting landscape, attracting fans and generating economic opportunities.
- Beyond baseball: The stadium complex is also envisioned to host concerts, conventions, and other events, solidifying its place as a multi-purpose entertainment hub.
Beyond the Timeline:
The closure of the Tropicana and the construction of the A’s stadium have sparked mixed reactions. Some celebrate the potential economic boost and the arrival of a Major League Baseball team, while others lament the loss of a historic landmark and the impact on employees. Regardless of individual perspectives, this project represents a significant transformation for Las Vegas, ushering in a new era of sports and entertainment in the city.
This timeline provides a snapshot of the key milestones, but remember, construction projects can be subject to change. Stay tuned for further updates as the Tropicana prepares for its curtain call and the A’s stadium rises on the Las Vegas skyline.
This article was generated with the assistance of Google Bard
|View the calendar of the most popular upcoming Las Vegas events
|View the calendar of all Las Vegas shows
|View the calendar of all upcoming Las Vegas superstar performances
Subscribe to get our weekly Las Vegas calendar in your email: